Re: PHP + PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Elaine Lindelef
Subject Re: PHP + PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
>Good:
>* postgres is really good for concurrent accesses (in part because of it's
>better-than-row-level-locking)
>* postgres is stable. I don't think I've heard of many non-hardware crashes
>for a while now
>* php has good support for postgres
>* good feature set, won't hold you back
>* good with a huge amount of data, and/or many table joins
>
>Bad:
>* no replication (I suppose if you really need it, there are replication
>soultions, but maybe not as good as oracle or db2), which means if you're
>talking intense queries, you'll need to get a really big box that can handle
>all those requests by itself.
>
>Regards,
>    Jeff Davis

Of course, a bigger box running PostgreSQL is still cheaper and
easier to maintain than multiple replicated servers. However, if you
need to have super-high reliability, such that you've got mulitple
servers in different areas of the country running concurrently, all
accepting insert/update requests from users, then you'd need real
replication. The PostgreSQL solutions around are good enough for a
quick swap to a backup server.

Elaine Lindelef